html

Monday, January 25, 2010

Pay it Forward


Something happened to me today...As I sat in my car, heat pumping, music playing, waiting for my tall Cinnamon Dolce Latte to be created, I was offered a choice.


"Someone paid for your drink!" - says the Starbucks barista (S.B.)


"Really? Wow!" -says me.


"Actually, people have been paying-it-forward for about 30 cars now..." - says S.B.

"Wow! How crazy..." -says me


"So, you have a choice...You can either get a drink for free; your lucky day! Or, you can pay it forward as well...and pay for the car behind you. Their total is more than yours... around 7-8 bucks." - says S.B.



Silence....


I wanted to say yes. I so badly wanted to say yes. I believe in Karma, and that what comes around goes around...but I partly shocked myself when I said, "I will do it next time, I swear."


It might have been that I know I shouldn't be getting Starbucks at all...and that I personally probably pay their yearly income by how much I frequent that Starbucks. It might be that I knew I would get a lecture from my husband in disbelief that I spent over 7 dollars at Starbucks. Or that my bank account is slowly dwindling down and that I really need every penny I have so I can get to my sister's wedding...


So I was grateful that I was given the opportunity to have a free coffee drink. So grateful that I did not realize how selfish I was being...until I pulled away and took the first sip.


Even though the Barista told me not to feel bad, and that he totally understood, I felt bad. I felt horrible. So horrible that hours later I am writing a blog about it!


I arrive early to work and check Facebook really fast...The first wall post I see..."Do a good deed today."


You. have. got. to. be. kidding. me.


I look at my drink...Ugh! What was I thinking? I can't believe I did not say yes.


I'm sorry to the car behind me...I'm sorry to that Starbucks. I must look like a tool.


I learned my lesson...As crazy as it sounds, I learned a lot about myself this morning...
I am grateful for my free drink this morning, but even more for the opportunity to really evaluate some things.

1 comment:

  1. For all the good deeds that you already do, on this particular day you were rewarded with a free Starbucks drink. So drink it in (figuratively with no guilt and literally you already have ;P). I know we've only talked a couple of times, but I know that you're not only a good person but a great one, Ashley. Cheers! From a fellow Starbucks addict who experienced a similar Starbucks dilemma on Christmas Eve 2008 (seriously!)

    ReplyDelete